Study and vocational training in Germany – Trainees?

Citizens of a third country can be issued a residence permit for the purpose of taking up a qualified vocational training (§16 subs. 5a Res. Act) as well as for the participation in a basic or advanced industrial training, a so called dual vocational training (§ 17 subs.1 Res. Act). For the latter case a permission through the employment agency is required, unless it is an unrestricted occupation. Under certain circumstances possibilities of a limited employment open up (§§ 16 subs 5a and 17 subs. 2 Res. Act).