What does an asylum seeker have to do when he or she has fallen ill and wants to go to a General Practitioner or a Specialist?

Asylum seekers have the right to receive acute medical care. The appropriate social welfare department pays for the necessary treatment costs in the case of acute illnesses, pain and pregnancy. All officially recommended vaccinations are to be paid for. Additional payments for medications are not applicable.

If he has to consult a specialist, it is absolutely necessary to obtain an approval from the appropriate social welfare department first. As a rule, the General Practitioner decides whether an appointment at a specialist is indicated. The appropriate social welfare department is the one where the asylum seeker has been registered.

Important: A valid health insurance certificate for the current quarter is always required!