Who does the compulsory schooling rule apply to?

A person who fulfills the age requirements and has his residence in Bavaria or receives vocational training or is employed, is subject to compulsory schooling.
Compulsory schooling in Bavaria lasts 12 (school) years and is divided in fulltime compulsory schooling and compulsory vocational schooling.
Subject to compulsory schooling in Bavaria is who
• has a permission to reside according to the Asylum Procedure Act
• has a residence permit according to the Asylum Procedure Act
• has a temporary suspension of deportation status according to § 60a of the Asylum Procedure Act
• is enforceable obligated to leave, also if the deportation order is not yet or not anymore enforceable.

In the above cases 1 and 2 compulsory schooling begins three months after arrival of the person or his or her legal guardian from the foreign country.
The legal guardians are obligated to register the child at the school to be attended. As a rule, the elementary or secondary schools of a school district of the place of residence are responsible. The registration for attendance of the school in case of influx from a foreign country takes place in accordance with article 36 BAyEUG.

legal basis: article 35 section 1 and 2 of the BayEUG, article 36 BayEUG.

What about costs for transportation to school?

The way to and from school  of asylum seekers and refugees who are affected by the compulsory schooling rule is organized and financed by the representatives in charge of pupil transportation (according to the laws about  coverage of costs for the school way). The local responsible offices follow the usual procedures for assignment, depending on the attended schools.

legal basis: article 3 section 4 of the BaySchFG, § 4 AVBaySchFG and SchBefG, Law about the coverage of costs for the school way.

What documents are required for school enrollment?

The principals of the responsible schools in the district, or secondary schools, respectively.

It is sensible to bring the following documents along for the registration at the school (as far as existing):

• birth certificate, passport, documents of the initial reception centre
• confirmation of registration at the residence registration office
• school report cards, confirmations of other school attendances

Study and vocational training in Germany – Pupils?

A separate residence permit for the purpose of a school attendance can principally only be granted within the scope of a student exchange program limited in time or for the attendance of an intensive language course, also limited in time and as long as the living expenses are ensured during the stay (§ 16 subs. 5 Res. Act).

Study and vocational training in Germany – Trainees?

Citizens of a third country can be issued a residence permit for the purpose of taking up a qualified vocational training (§16 subs. 5a Res. Act) as well as for the participation in a basic or advanced industrial training, a so called dual vocational training (§ 17 subs.1 Res. Act). For the latter case a permission through the employment agency is required, unless it is an unrestricted occupation. Under certain circumstances possibilities of a limited employment open up (§§ 16 subs 5a and 17 subs. 2 Res. Act).

Study and vocational training in Germany – Study applicants?

Third country nationals who want to study in Germany, but are not yet accepted at a state university or state-approved university, can be issued a residence permit for up to nine months (§ 16 subs 1a Res. Act). Proof of a university entrance qualification is a mandatory requirement. If applicable, an assessment test can be performed.

Study and vocational training in Germany – Students?

A residence permit can be issued to a foreign student for the purpose of studying in Germany for a period of at least one year and no more than two years (§ 16 subs. 1 sent. 5 Res. Act). The study has to represent the main purpose of the stay, an evening or weekend study or a correspondence program is therefore not sufficient. Skills in the study language are under certain conditions not required (§ 16 subs. 1 sentence 4 Res.Act). Employment on a limited basis as well as study related jobs are permitted (§ 16 subs. 3 Res.Act).
Students who have been issued a residence permit from another EU country for the purpose of  university studies might ,under certain conditions, also receive a residence permit for the purpose of university studies in Germany (§ 16 subs. 6 Res.Act).
Graduates of a German University are under certain conditions entitled to be issued a permanent residence permit after two years already.

What advantages do residence permits for a vocational and industrial training have?

The residence permit according to § 16 subs. 5 and § 17 Res.Act enables one to work up to 10 hours a week – even if the job is unrelated to the vocational training.
Can an adequate place of employment be found after successful completion of the vocational training, the possibility exists to have the residence permit extended for up to one more year.

Is it possible to do an industrial training?

In order to participate in a basic or advanced industrial training (a so called dual training) a residence permit acc. to § 17 Res.Act has to be applied for. It is required to get a permission from the employment agency first before the residence permit can be issued, unless it is an unrestricted occupation. Whether the planned dual training is restricted or not can be inquired at the local immigration office of the future place of residence. 
During a qualified vocational training one is allowed to work up to 10 hours a week in jobs which need not be related to the training.
The residence permit is normally issued for two years. If the basic or advanced industrial training lasts less than two years, then the residence permit is limited to the duration of the training. It can also be extended to the expected completion should the training last longer.